Sunday 2 September 2012

The Grand Breadxperiment - ASDA Easy Bake Yeast

Well, this may be the final yeast test until I find some more exotic yeasts. I've checked a number of Marks & Spencers but they don't seem to sell the stuff and other supermarket stuff is pretty much the same. That being said, this supermarket stuff ain't the same as others.

ASDA Easy Bake Yeast.


I don't know if I had a bad batch or some sort of localised cold snap that stopped the yeast from working in my microwave warmth chamber but this was really poor indeed. It simply didn't do much - despite being a sachet type that has all the usual 'enhancing' additives. Here goes:


 It frothed up quite nicely during the normal activation phase and so looked fairly promising. Kneading was a bit tricky but looked ok in the end:


 Little bit un-smooth but not terrible. And then after the rise:


 That right there is a seriously weedy rise.


 It didn't do much in the tin either. Finally it baked as a nearly-inediby doughy loaf:


Not sure what I'd trust it for. Maybe fine for crumpets or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment