Thursday 12 April 2012

Commanding Data

Currently occupying me in work is the design of a database. The goal of this is to allow us to eliminate the use of paper log sheets and hence simplify billing stuff. Sounds simple.

Part of the problem lies in the fact that I need the database to be able to output data into Excel sheets which are formatted in a very specific way. The actual billing sheets for our finance department utilise Excel sheets with various codes for user groups, supervisors, all using some of the ugliest data you could imagine. I am therefore trying to use nice data in the database but have it all linked with the corresponding ugly data to allow it to be outputted in the appropriate format. I initially designed the database thusly:


The problem I have is in that the final output has to contain User, Supervisor, Group. Now, each group has multiple supervisors in it and each supervisor controls multiple users. There's therefore a need for a User entry to lookup supervisors and then for the supervisors to look up the groups. I'm having a tough job getting it all to make sense in it's current form and I'm kinda thinking it's easier for me to start from scratch with a new top-down design rather than trying to bend the current one into shape.

It's a shame to abandon the work done so far but it's not totally wasted as I've learnt from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment